Thursday, September 22, 2011

September's Mr. Unicorner-The Driver

If you haven't seen Drive yet your are seriously missing out. Drop what you are doing and go. Now. Stop reading this until you have seen the movie and then come back and swoon with me. Even you boys of the straight persuasion are going to have a raging bromance for The Driver/Kid as played by Ryan Gosling. The prestigious winner of September's Mr. Unicorner!!!!

Now, in keeping with tradition of The Unicorner I either can either honor an actor, musician or character. This month we are focusing on the character Ryan played in Drive. Before seeing this movie I only thought of Ryan as that dude from the Notebook. As cute as he was I'm not into that kid of drivel. Wah, Wah, cry, cry, sad face make up or someone dies. Nope. Not me. This film changed my mind quicker than a whore strips off her underpants. And he is Canadian, and we all know how much I LOVE Canadians (it's true).

Anyway, back to The Driver. Reminiscent of one of the most famous car movies of all time, Two Lane Blacktop, the main characters have no names and are simply called, the Mechanic and The Driver. Drive uses that same nomenclature and refers to Mr. Gosling as The Driver in this fantastic, no fucking frills, instant classic car film. Little to no dialogue on his part you can easily mistake him for an adorable simpleton with a sweet as sugar smile...until he curb stomps your brains in though. While he is violent to extreme, he does it for love and Boys, let me let you in on a little secret. A guy that stands up for his girl is tantamount to pouring gasoline in a fire. It's fucking hot. and fiery. And looks awesome.

I won't go into any more specifics, if you have seen it, you know. Now go see it and report back












No comments: